Laura De Sena
- Founder and President of Innovations in Online Education, Inc.
- Teacher of English at West Milford High School, New Jersey: AP Literature, Film Literacy, Creative Writing, English 4 CP, English 4B
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Humanities at NYU’s School of Continuing and Professional Studies for two decades — composition and research writing courses (in brick and mortar, and virtual environments)
- Faculty Observer/Mentor of online writing instructors for NYUonline.
- Author of Preventing Plagiarism: tips and techniques, National Council of Teachers of English, 2007
- Expert on the topic of preventing plagiarism in student writing: presentations for Nebraska English Language Arts Council, NCTE, NYU SCPS Freshmen Orientation, West Milford HS, NJ Writing Alliance conferences
- Advisor in the revision of Turabian’s Student’s Guide to Writing College Papers, University of Chicago Press, 2010
- Art critic, playwright, and poet: articles on Cassatt and Arbus in Contemporary Women Artists, St. Martin’s Press, 1999; plays produced in off-off Broadway venues; poetry in Clarendon, Violet, Journal of NJ Poets, Slow Motion, Three Mile Harbor
Fred De Sena
Fred De Sena has a lifetime of sales / management / entrepreneurship / and project coordinator experience in business.
Having begun his musical career in sales during high school which culminated in a management position at Sam Goody’s #3 location (3rd Ave & 43rd street NYC). A desire to move over to the creative side of music production landed him at New York City’s world class premier recording facility Automated Sound Studios. Here he managed creative recording projects not only for a who’s who of pop stars: John Denver, Peter O’Toole, Steely Dan, George Martin, Phil Ramone, etc. but an equally impressive alphabet soup of Madison Ave. advertising agencies: BBD&O, Y&R, DFS, O&M, McCann Erickson, NW Ayer, Grey Adv.
Desiring to do for himself what he had done for others Fred with support from his wife and parents went into business. Building on his love for music and “making people happy” Digital Sound, Inc. of Parsippany, NJ was born as an emporium of hard to find and collectible compact discs. This service eventually encompassed import and export, and servicing local radio stations such as WDHA and WNEW. Pat St. John of WNEW-FM was a frequent client and supporter of Digital Sound. Hard to find CD’s which he procured through DS ( including a stereo version of the Rolling Stones “Satisfaction” only available from Japan) became the center of his on air shows. During this time Fred also hosted an on air specialty music program for WXMC entitled A Little Light Music featuring the store’s extensive catalog of blues, and folk music. DS was also a Soundscan sales reporter and one of the first music retailers to offer a computerized inventory and ordering service.
The success of Napster and other online free music download programs spelled the demise of the independent music retailer and it was time to find a new potential business venture. At this time Mr. De Sena decided to re-tool with 21st century computer skills and a certificate from CHUBB. However, he was offered a more lucrative position using his sales abilities. This time employed as a fireplace representative in the ever growing new home construction business. Mr. De Sena always considered “making people happy” essential to the sales process and considered the next best thing to an extensive music collection was a warm hearth to snuggle by. This successful period ($3M sales club) continued on until the recent recession and housing bust.
Always one to spot new opportunities and excited by cutting edge ideas Fred quickly capitalized on his wife Laura’s idea of presenting “quality live inter active instruction with a highly qualified state certified content specialist online” and together they christened it Innovations in Online Education, Inc. They are forward looking and consider IOE, Inc. as a leader in the field of quality online instruction. Fred sees this as his next opportunity to improve the quality of life for others and “make people happy.”
Fred is also pleased to have contributed to his community as a former two term president of Sussex County Habitat for Humanity and is a current volunteer for Sussex County Inter Faith Hospitality.